Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Warrantless Cell Phone Tracking / A Lesson in Journalism


So I originally heard about the 3rd Circuit Appeals ruling on warrantless cell phone tracking here, on CNET.

But then, a Google News search revealed Forbes, with a story with an opposite headline.



But I think the true answer lies in between, as in this Wired story.



What I gather is that the government is allowed to look at a cell carrier's stored logs without a warrant. I don't really see why they should need to do so without a warrant, so we might want to update our laws on the matter.

Strange that it took me three sources before I could figure it out. Two of those sources had serious typos, so I guess that should have been a tip-off.

I'll read the ruling and see what I can figure out.

No comments:

Post a Comment